It is common knowledge that, sleep is an essential function for our overall wellbeing and physical health. Without adequate sleep, our minds cannot function in a healthy way. We need sleep to function for our daily lives, to refresh our minds and recharge. Unfortunately, in many cases for individuals suffering from sleep apnea they depend on CPAP machines or a ventilator to get a desired amount of sleep. Sadly, as we all know, the utilization of certain technologies that are supposed to provide a sense of relief can disastrously fail us, leaving us with more severe consequences. In July of 2020, Phillips Respironics recalled many of their CPAP, BiPAP, and ventilator machines.
Is Philips CPAP recall dangerous?
Phillips Respironics recalled certain their CPAP, BiPAP, and ventilator machines due to a high risk of exposure to toxic debris and chemicals. Use of these devices may cause serious injuries or even death.
As a result of the severity of this issue, The FDA has identified these affected devices as a Class I recall.
Philips Respironics CPAP, BiPAP, and Ventilator Recall: FAQs. (2021). Retrieved 10 September 2021, from https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/philips-respironics-cpap-bipap-and-ventilator-recall-frequently-asked-questions
What is a Class I recall?
-Class I recall is the most serious type of recall. Often times this recall is present as a result of exposure to a product that causes severe health conditions or potentially may cause serious injuries or death.
Side effects related to recall
- Product defect correction – safety hazard caused by foam degradation and emissions
- Foam degradation may form into particles , when inhaled may also release certain chemicals/gases
- Foam particles may penetrate into the lower respiratory tract.
What are the risks associated with these issues?
- A foam particle might degrade and become toxic, and may potentially cause cancer
- The potential risks associated with these issues include headache/dizziness, irritation (eyes, nose, respiratory tract, skin), inflammatory responses, asthma, hypersensitivity, nausea / vomiting, adverse effects to other organs (e.g., kidneys and liver) and possible carcinogenic effects.
From the use of these affected machines, can cause adverse health conditions and severe consequences, this can result in potential liability.
If you or a loved one has been affected by this recall of Phillips Respironics, it is essential to contact an attorney to discuss your options.